Swing Beds for CAH (CMS CoPs) 2023
Instructor : Nash Healthcare Consulting
Aug 31, 2023 1:00 PM ET | 12:00 PM CT | 10:00 AM PT | 90 Minutes
This webinar will focus on the November 2019 swing bed requirements and changes made by CMS. The swing bed regulation is in Appendix W for Critical Access Hospitals, but the interpretive guidelines and survey procedures are under Appendix PP. Many CAHs are not aware of the changes or are still struggling to comply. It is challenging to figure out what the interpretive guidelines and survey procedure as there is there was no crosswalk between Appendix W – for CAH – and Appendix PP – Long Term Care.
This webinar was created to assist hospitals in understanding what needs to be done. Hospitals had seen a significant increase in survey activity by CMS along with an increased number of deficiencies pre-COVID-19. Common deficiencies and how to avoid them will be discussed. Information on how to locate the CAH manual and other resources will be discussed. There will also be a discussion of the 1135 Waivers available to Critical Access Hospitals with Swing Beds.
Key Learning Objectives:
- Discuss that CMS made some recent changes to the protocol process
- Recall that CMS has rewritten the entire section on swing beds
- Describe what is required by CMS to be in the resident assessment which is done to do the care plan
- Recall the CMS requirements on patient activities of swing bed patients
- Who does the swing bed waiver apply to?
- How do hospitals request approval for swing beds?
- How can rural or urban hospitals qualify for the waiver?
Who Should Attend?
- Anyone who is responsible for taking care of swing bed patients in a CAH or for implementing the CMS swing bed requirements. This includes the following:
- CEOs, COOs and CFOs,
- Nurse Executives, Nurse Managers, Nurses, Nurse educators, Nursing Supervisors,
- Accreditation and Regulation director,
- Quality managers,
- Risk managers,
- Healthcare attorneys,
- Patient safety officer,
- Director of Rehab (OT, PT, speech pathology, and audiology),
- Infection preventionist, and
- Compliance officers