Joint Commission Hot Topics 2023: Identifying High Risk Standards and Processes for Compliance
Instructor : Darlene Evans, MSN, RN, CPHQ
Apr 06, 2023 1:00 PM ET | 12:00 PM CT | 10:00 AM PT | 60 Minutes
This webinar will cover several Joint Commission hot topics for 2023. It will discuss the Joint Commission requirements for identifying high risk standards and processes for compliance as well as review the TJC 2021 and 2022 high risk and hot topics including infection control, life safety code, sentinel events, and more. Though surveyors review all aspects of a facility during a review, they target specific areas involving patient care.
For 2023, there is a focus on infection prevention and control, emergency and pain management, workplace violent, and life safety. Much of what Joint Commission requires for certification and deemed status follow the Conditions of Participation from CMS. Hospitals who receive deemed status through Joint Commission are not required to have a certification survey by CMS to participate in Medicare reimbursement.
- Detail overview discussion of frequently cited standards in infection control, and if there is a process failure, then staff should know what steps to take.
- Describe the most challenging standards including medical gas and vacuum systems, pain management, and informed consent.
- Remember that staff members must be able to locate policies and directives that govern their practice.
- Recall that TJC states that patients and families have a right to have a complaint reviewed and it must be done timely.
- Policies and Procedures
- TJC 2022-2023 Frequently Cited Standards
- 2023 Clinical Standards
- 2022 EOC/LS
- Infection Control Frequently Cited and High Risk
- Infection Control Instruments
- Infection Control Sterile Storage
- Infection Control MIFU
- NPSG 15.01.01 EP 1 Suicide Risk Assessment
- MM 06.01.01 EP 3
- MM 06.01.01 EP 1
- EC 02.06.01 EP 1
- EC 02.05.01 EP15
- IC 02.01.01 EP 1
- IC 02.02.01 EP 4
- Findings at NPSG 15.01.01 EP5
- Frequently Cited Standards NPSG 15.01.01 EP4
- Challenging Standards
- Healthcare Disparities Moved to NPSG
- Sentinel Event Data 2022
Who Should Attend?
- Compliance Officer
- Chief Medical Officer (CMO)
- Chief Nursing Officer (CNO)
- Chief Operating Officer (COO
- Joint Commission Coordinator
- Nurse Educator
- Hospital Legal Counsel
- Risk Manager
- Board Members