Clarifications and Challenges of the 2021 Office/Outpatient Coding Guidelines
Instructor : Jan Rasmussen
Jun 03, 2021 1:00 PM ET | 12:00 PM CT | 10:00 AM PT | 60 Minutes
We have been using the 2021 Office/Outpatient Coding guidelines for almost 6 months but still there are many Coders and Providers with ongoing questions. In addition, there have been multiple clarifications from the AMA on definitions and how these guidelines should be used in determining a level of service. Join this webinar by our expert Janice Rasmussen in which we will look at the challenges and clarifications associated with these guidelines to keep you up to date on the latest information available.
This session will focus on how new documentation rules for office/outpatient services 99202-99215 are intended to promote quality of care rather than paperwork. Learn how to apply the new rules of medical decision making or time as the prime factors in determining the level of service while maintaining or improving reimbursement.
- New 2021 Medicare Office Outpatient E&M Coding Guidelines
- 2021 Final Rule Review, Add-on Codes, Coding Risks and Audits
- Overview, Medical Decision Making Coding, and Time-Based Coding
- Preparing your practice for 2021 E/M changes
- Update offices on the newest clarifications for office/outpatient codes such as independent historian, interpretation of tests, tests ordered and reviewed at same session or different session
- Identify best documentation practices for medical decision making to support the highest appropriate level of service based on presenting problems including documentation of HPI and assessment/plan
- Discuss using time to support a level of service, appropriate documentation to support time and the risks associated with using time for your level of service.
- Review the latest AMA clarifications and definitions
- Identify what data and when that data can be used to support a specific level of service
- Look at the difference between a major or minor procedure in the overall risk category.
- Discuss the concept of drugs requiring intensive monitoring to toxicity
- Is time an advantage over decision making when reporting a level of service
Who Should Attend?
- Providers Coders
- Office managers
- Denial Resolution Teams